Saturday, September 27, 2008

Computer access

I do update this. I just don't get to computers often.

So going from the South to the Northwest, I expected a few things. For instance, there would be no sweet tea. Here is a few things I didn't expect:

* Sticks of butter are a different shape.
* Huckleberries. More than just a Mark Twain character, they are delicious. And can only be grown in the wild.
* Local (or regional) beers are always the beer of choice.
* Traffic is virtually non-existent.
* Basketball takes precedence over football. Gonzaga doesn't even have a football team.
* Minorities are practically non-existent in Spokane.
* Fall starts late August. I'm scared to think about when winter starts.
* People are really laid back.
* Eastern Washington is definitely not the hippie/enviro-friendly Seattle. There's a big divide in the state between the regions. It's definitely more conservative here.
* People who think its conservative here have never been to the Bible belt.
* The world revolves around Eastern Standard Time.
* People say "back east."
* Hardly anyone drinks ginger ale.
* And it'd be called pop.

There are more, but they will be coming later!

4 comments:

Barb Chamberlain said...

So what shape IS butter in the South?

Nice piece on SpokeFest--that's how I found your blog. Check out www.biketoworkspokane.org if you're a bike commuter.

--barb
www.biketoworkbarb.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Funny differences!! Hope you're doing ok. Any good yarn shops out there?

Shelley Devereaux said...

If I come out there, I'll fix your bikes up.

S said...

No sweet tea is still the biggest travesty.

But I find the butter thing intriguing.