Monday, September 21, 2009

Bread of life

I remember throughout college thinking I could never stomach a 9-5 job. The monotony, I would think, with a shudder. 

Now, I realize, I was right. 9-5s are not fun. You can never go to the bank. Nor the post office. And luckily, I no longer work 9-5. I work 7-7 three days a week. Yes, that's right. I work 3 days a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. (To be fair, I do have meetings and trainings in addition to this, so I am still getting my 40 hours a week average in). 

These 4 days off a week have led to lots of bread making. So far I've tried:

Bagels
Pitas
Chocolate bread
Oatmeal breads

The bagels by far were the biggest hit, though I have trouble shaping them to look like real bagels. I got the recipe from "The Art of Bread" by the Cooking Club of America. It'd be great if I could just do all of our bread making for the week on my days off, however, we lack a good bread knife for slicing sandwich bread. Also, fresh from the oven bread rarely last longer than a day, I've realized. 

Now if you'll indulge my tendencies for over-simplistic romanticized views of the world for a moment, I have a thought on food:

All plants come from seeds, water, sunlight, and soil. How amazing is that these simple, simple, ingredients give us everything from lemons to wheat to asparagus? I'm amazed.

1 comment:

Shelley Devereaux said...

to be honest, the profession of a baker can be a bit overrated as well.

that said, I'm going home today to bake something fabulous out of a cookbook I don't use often enough. Mom would be so proud.