Thursday, March 25, 2010

Reality check

So I have a fair amount of downtime at work, which involves a lot piddling around on the computer. Which...recently...has ended up on a lot of wedding websites. It seems like there is an endless number of things which I am supposed to decide between...what kind of shoes to wear (high heel, low heel, flat, peep toe, sandal, pump). How to do my hair (up, down, chignon, braided, curled).

But to be honest, it gets tough to care about having blue favors verses yellow favors when someone interrupts my idle day dreaming by telling me that they were beat up the night before. Or I have to call 911 because someone tried to kill their self. Or when I stop to realize that this will cost in a day more than I make in a year. Or many years of doing JVC.

Not to say I'm not having the typical wedding stress. But I do realize that at the end of the day, details are just details. Besides, most of it is taken care of: date, church, officiant, dress, bridesmaid dresses, photographer, florist. But no, we probably won't have a color scheme or memorable centerpieces. We're not going to try very hard to have "unique" invitations or the most unique cake topper. Its just not worth the effort.

But what I have learned that I want is friends, family, music (we do still need to take care of that one), and an an ice cold beer. And a husband. That'll be nice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jackie,

You're a very talented writer. Your description of the mountains framing Missoula make us all want to visit. Happy Palm Sunday..it is one of my favorite liturgical celbrations as well.

Unknown said...

The last comment was from Rosemary...I guess Meghan is the only active gmail account in our household at the moment...she might not be happy with my comments being assigned to her name...will have to ask her how I remedy that. I'm sure she would agree that you are a talented writer as well..so all is good!