Wednesday, November 18, 2009

She's tough. She's from Virginia.

The above is a conversation I overheard between two clients while I was changing the water jug. It made me smile.

Some days, however, I do not feel tough. For example, yesterday I broke down and cried after work. I had an older gentleman sob to me about how he can't talk to his brother, who is in a nursing home in Tennessee, anymore because he just had a feeding tube put in. The brother is autistic and the last time he tried to call, he wouldn't come to the phone.

I had another gentleman insist we call 911 because he was allegedly throwing up blood. He then decided not to go along with the paramedics and to do the chicken dance across the street.

I spent hours convincing a client to call the suicide hotline for veterans. He had been an army medic and had a 2 year old girl die in his arms after being shot. He said he couldn't fall asleep without seeing her and so he just got drunk every night and high every day and was sick of it. Then the Doctor on the crisis hotline called me back to chew me out about how he was just trying to pull a ruse and find a free place to stay and was being ludicrous.

My coworker called animal control on a dog which constantly was forgotten and tied up outside.

I had another man spend the entire day trying to get in touch with his brother, who never called him back.

I had another gentleman threaten another man for allegedly slashing his bike tires.

There are some moments that are rewarding, and others that are downright discouraging. And that's why today, on my day off, I am still in my pajamas at 1 and am ready for Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Kitty said...

You are an angle!

Shelley Devereaux said...

yes Jackie, you are not obtuse, but perhaps somehow both acute and right at the same time

Kitty said...

HaHaHaHa

Shelley Devereaux said...

Jackie, you are an Engel[s]!

Laura Lea said...

I realized I haven't checked your blog in like, 4 months. Sorry that I fell off the face of the earth =)

Your job sounds really tough! The population sounds kind of similar to some of the people that I deal with at work. I feel like your adults are either a) parents of kids like my kids or b)where my kids will end up later in life.

Hope things are going well for you and that you had a great thanksgiving!